Jacqueline Warwick is a Professor of Musicology and Director of the Fountain School of Performing Arts at Dalhousie University.
Beer camping country music shirt, hoodie, tank top, sweater
Since the beginning of the pandemic, people have turned to music to relieve the anxiety of living in the darkness of death. In the global Black Lives Matter protests, music also played a role, training communities, and honoring resilience. We can be more grateful than ever for the power of music in expressing emotions and ideas that are too complex to words.
Read more: Hip-hop is the soundtrack for the Black Lives Matter rallies, continuing the tradition dating back to the blues era
So, in this highly musical-reliant moment, we should pay attention to what might look like a little argument in a small subject. At the 2019 Music Theory Association conference, music theorist Philip Ewell gave an important speech titled “The white racial framework of music theory”.
Ewell’s talk explores how conventional analytical strategies underpin European classical music are the most worthy work to study. Indeed, this is the only kind of music that can call itself “music” without adjectives like “popular”, “folk” or “world”. This naturalizes the place of Western art music at the center of what’s important, while the music of the rest of the world is materialized and revered. So when I first started my career as a hired music professor to introduce popular music into the curriculum, my senior colleagues reminded me that I also needed to teach. “real” music.
The Schenkerian sovereignty
Ewell points to white supremacy widely recognized in the work of music analyst Heinrich Schenker, questioning why Schenkerian analysis remains central to most of the university’s music programs. learn. And here it looks like a bridge is too far away; The Schenkerian Research Journal spent most of its 12th volume contradicting the Beer camping country music shirt, hoodie, tank top, sweater 89 pages of Ewell’s 3,000-word presentation.
It is certainly fair to consider this a pile, especially when five of the Beer camping country music shirt, hoodie, tank top, sweater 15 collaborators serve on the editorial board or adviser of the journal; all appear to be white (Ewell was black) and at least 13 men (one author chose to remain anonymous); Ewell was not given prior notice of the content; and unapproved contributions.
This sets professional standards in academic publishing. Much of the content written is offensive and racist; However, the articles by Richard Beaudoin, Suzannah Clarke and Christopher Segall, respectfully interacting with Ewell’s work, demonstrate that some in the field are willing to consider biases and extend. approach. The most infuriating works are those of high-ranking scholars, including an emeritus professor.
I hardly need to say that this overwhelming answer underlines Ewell’s argument; apparently, the offended Schenke had rallied to defend their side of the pitch. Like the cries described by Mamta Motwani Accapadi in her analysis of how white women use tears to appease critics, these “SchenKarens” are showing their power by indignation and embarrassment.
Dr. Benjamin Schoening, dean and associate professor of music at UNG, said: “The Bachelor of Music is considered a more professional qualification in the music industry.
Before that, students studying music degrees could earn a Bachelor of Arts in music or a Bachelor of Science in music education with a focus on the chorus or a focus on musical instruments. That means students spend about 60 percent of their classroom time on liberal arts courses and the remaining 40 percent on music. The new degree will allow for more in-depth study of music.
Dr. Adam Frey, associate professor of music and proponent of the upgrade to a Bachelor of Music, said: “Students are likely to take more music classes as part of an alternative study program. because they are considered electives.
It also explores new topics such as music business, digital sound production and design, music in movies and video games, and marching band techniques.
The Bachelor of Music will focus on three areas of study: musical performance, music education, and music arts. Music education will remain focused on the choral focus and the focus on musical instruments. The musical performance will have three levels of concentration in instrumental, piano and vocal performance and there are more specialized courses. For example, students will receive training in literature and pedagogy.
A unique feature in the musical arts focus is that it will target students with a diverse focus in music including business music, technology, music, recording and production.